Duodenal Switch is one of the most effective surgical procedures for weight-loss. The goal of this procedure is to reduce the size of the stomach and drastically to make the patient feel less hungry.
Besides, the surgery reduces the amount of food that is assimilated by the body.
Duodenal Switch is similar to Gastric Bypass because it creates a shortcut from the stomach to the intestine too. Although in this case, the surgeon eliminates a larger portion of the gastric tract for a faster result.
Making a shortcut and reducing the size of the stomach, the Duodenal Switch reroutes food directly to the distal part of the small intestine.
That means that the body absorbs less food, and the patient doesn’t feel anxiety.
The doctors recommend this system for the patient who has morbid obesity or overweighs near or over 30 BMI who have tried diets and exercise without success.
The procedure avoids severe health risks associated with overweight, like diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, or heart attack, among others.
- In the first part of the procedure, the doctor will reduce the size of the stomach, making a Gastrectomy similar to Gastric Sleeve.
- As a result, the stomach will get a sleeve or banana shape, which will make the patient eat less and decrease calorie consumption.
- After gastrectomy, the surgeon will make a shortcut in the digestive tract from the reduced stomach to a lower part of the small intestine, or duodenum.
- That technique creates a bridge or a shortcut eliminating a large portion of the intestine, the area where the body absorbs the food.
- The doctors practice this operation using general anesthesia, which means that the patient will remain asleep in the operating room.
- For a less invasive procedure, the doctor inserts a Laparoscopy, e tiny TV camera which allows operating without a large incision.
- The medical team can see and manipulate the interior of the body from the outside, reaching small points and leaving minimal scars.
- Duodenal Switch is an operation for relatively young patients, from 30 to 50 years old, with no severe health conditions and who have a healthy lifestyle.
- The operation is only for persons who have severe obesity and needs to eliminate extra pound to prevent risks.
- Besides, the specialists recommend it or for patients who have problems living a healthy life due to overweight.
- After the surgery, the patients must stay at least two days in the hospital.
- During the recovery, the patient must have a special diet and food supplements.
- The downtime takes from two weeks to a month.
- The final results will take 12 months.
- The patient must follow a healthy diet and exercise for the rest of his/her life.
- To maintain optimal health, the patient may need dietary supplements, such as calcium and vitamines, under medical supervision.